This section relates to businesses and employment within Birlingham. The first two questions were to be answered by all respondents, the next nine were directed
towards those running businesses.
48. Do you operate a business from within the village (including self-employed)?
- 22% of respondents operate a business within Birlingham.
49. Do you think there is a need for a business-related development in the village?
- 58% of all respondents did not think there was a need for further business-related development.
50. What is the nature of your business?
- A wide range of businesses operate from the village, including agriculture, catering, disability
consultancy, drainage, education, entertainment, technical publishing, fabrics, handyman, holiday lets,
training, IT, jewellery, decorating, picture framing and a vineyard.
51. What market does your business serve?
- Local 39%, Regional 22%, National 27%, International 12%.
52. When was the business started?
- Most businesses started in the last 30 years but one dates from 1900.
53. How many people do you employ?
- Most businesses employ one or two people full time but the largest has 200 seasonal staff.
54. Do you have a website?
- Most businesses have their own website.
55. Do you advertise locally?
- 20% of businesses advertise in the Bystander, 8% on the village website.
56. Are you likely to expand your business in the next 4 years?
- 25% of businesses are planning to expand in the village in the next four years.
57. How well does the village meet/support your business needs?
- Most businesses felt that the village supports their business all right.
58. Are there any village facilities/activities that would be of benefit
in supporting your business?
- Businesses said they would like better broadband, better mobile coverage and access to business